Saturday, July 08, 2006

Top Ten Letterman Moments (#8)

#8 Shawshank Redemption Spoof


In this clip, the Late Show crew spoofs what is maybe my favourite movie of all time, The Shawshank Redemption. I say maybe because it is always hard to pick a favourite of anything but I would definitely put it in my top 5.

My brother and I have always disagreed over the Oscar winner for Best Movie of that year. I had always agreed with the Academy's choice of Forest Gump while my brother thought that Shawshank Redemption got robbed. Over the years, I've had the opportunity to watch both movies again several times and I have come around to the same thinking as my brother. Shawshank should have won. I see that now. It is an amazing movie. There are a lot of subtleties that you notice more and more with each viewing. I recommend it to anyone who hasn't seen it or hasn't seen it in a while.

The Late Show's announcer, the great Alan Kalter plays the role of Tim Robbins in this clip, trying to escape from the late night talk show. Apparently he has had enough of Dave. When Alan can't be found, Letterman sends trusty stagehand, Bif Henderson to investigate. But Biff only finds an empty chair and a Rita Hayworth poster....wait....there's something strange about that poster...have a look...

No comments:

Post a Comment