Monday, May 31, 2010

Never Fear. Video Man is Here!



This is a logo I designed for a contest for an online video company whose initials were MV. I didn't win the contest, nor the substantial cash prize that was awarded. However, I was reminded of the saying, "when life gives you lemons, make lemonade."

I tinkered with different ideas of how I could make use of the MV logo. As always, whenever I have a logo lying around doing nothing, I like to throw it on a t-shirt for sale to make a little extra cash. I brainstormed words that began with those initials but I never really came up with anything I liked. It then dawned on me that the letters in the logo were interchangeable and that the V could just as easily lead off the name.

When I originally thought up the concept for the contest, I wanted to incorporate the initials to look like three video control buttons you might see for an online video player. Obviously, these buttons' functions are purposely vague. Their real function is to morph into the MV letters. Long after losing the contest, I realized it could be VM.

Sticking with the video theme, I came up with the name Video Man. Immediately, an image of a superhero sprang to mind.

Narrator voice: "Able to view movie marathons in one sitting. Stronger than the toughest movie critic. It's video Man!"

I thought maybe his secret identity could be a video store clerk. Heck, Video Man could even be the name of the video store itself. He could then be the official mascot of the company.

What do you think? Do you see a movie franchise in Video Man's future, as Spider-Man and Batman have done?

No comments:

Post a Comment